Frequently Asked Questions Print

What is your laboratory's mission?

Analytical Services actively contributes to the protection of health and the quality-of-life of our agriculture and urban communities. This mission continues by: efficiently producing the highest quality data possible; expanding the knowledge, expertise and skills of our personnel; cooperating with all agencies, groups and individuals interested in achieving these same goals.

What types of samples or specimens does your lab analyze?

Analytical Services performs chemical and microbiological examinations or determinations on animal feeds and forage, fertilizer, meat, foods, raw and finished dairy products, water, waste water, petroleum fuels, natural gas, pesticide formulations and a host of products for pesticide residues. Many water samples in the last several years have been analyzed for the State's conservation districts to assess surface water quality and/or identify potential sources of contamination.

What types of analyses does your laboratory perform on these samples?

Analytical Services runs hundreds of different analyses. A more complete listing of analyses performed can be found on under the test index, which divides analyses by program.

Does your laboratory analyze samples for the general public?

Yes, we will analyze most sample types for the general public on a fee basis. The kind of testing performed would be similar to that performed on regulatory samples utilizing the same methods.

Does it cost to have my samples analyzed?

Wyoming Statute defines who must pay for the services. Specifically Wyoming Statute 35-7-201(c) states: "Any person, firm, corporation or association, with the exception of cities, counties and state regulatory agencies, who shall submit any article or commodity for analysis or examination shall remit such fee as may be established for the purpose of making this service available to the general public at a reasonable cost, but which fee shall be comparable to that charged for the same service by commercial laboratories operating within the state. Accounting shall be made of all fees so received by the state chemist and shall be paid into the general fund."

How can I contact the Laboratory?

You may contact the laboratory by mail, phone, FAX, e-mail or through the Internet.

How do I send samples to the laboratory for analysis?

Samples can be delivered directly to the lab in Laramie or shipped by bus, U.S. Mail, UPS, FEDEX or any other service. Depending on the type of sample and/or analyses, you may have to ship samples overnight. The laboratory pays to send you sampling materials, if required, but you are responsible for the return charges.

Who collects the samples you analyze?

Analytical Services does not collect any of the samples analyzed in the laboratory. The employees of the Consumer Health Services Section or Technical Services Section collect samples analyzed for the Department of Agriculture. Other samples are collected by the department, agency, firm or individual submitting the sample for analysis. Analytical Services can provide information on sampling and in some cases will provide sample containers. All first time sample submitters should contact the laboratory prior to sample collection and shipment to ensure laboratory capability, sample requirements and schedules.

How do I collect samples?

Analytical Service's web site has several sources on sample collection. Information on forage and water sampling can be viewed (forage sampling or water sampling and Water Analysis Requests) or downloaded as MS Word files. You can also call the laboratory if you have special requirements for preservatives.

How long does it take to get samples analyzed?

Analytical Service's goal is to have 95% of all samples completed within 30 days of receipt. If you have special requirements, contact the laboratory prior to sample collection and submission.

Where can I find out more information about your laboratory?

You can find out more about Analytical Services by visiting the tabs on the menu bar or by calling the laboratory at 307-742-2984. In addition to information about testing programs, analyses and certifications, you can find out about test methods, methods of collecting samples and much more. This site also has sample collection forms and some information to help you interpret your results.

Who uses the data your laboratory generates and for what purpose?

Much of the data generated by Analytical Services is used by the various regulatory agencies to ensure the products manufactured or marketed in Wyoming meet standards imposed by state and federal law or regulation. A large percentage of this work is for the protection of the public's health and the health of food animals. Data generated for the general public is used for a wide variety of purposes; such as improving the profitability of production agriculture, demonstrating compliance with state or federal regulations, the kind and size of water treatment equipment, the quality of surface water and the identification of pollution sources, etc.

How many professional/technical and administrative/clerical positions does your laboratory utilize?

Analytical Services has twelve full-time employees. Ten positions are professional or technical and two are clerical in nature. The State Chemist also serves as the laboratory manager.

What kind of professionals are employed in your laboratory and what college degree types are preferred?

With the exception of our lab tech position, which requires an associates degree, all other professional positions require at least a bachelors degree and one year of experience. Typically, the lab is looking for scientists with degrees in microbiology and chemistry or closely related degrees requiring significant course work in chemistry or microbiology. Mathematics coursework is also heavily considered when evaluating applicants.

Is prior training or professional certification a requirement for employment in your laboratory?

Analytical Services trains its professional staff in the methods and procedures they will be expected to use. Microbiologists in the dairy program ultimately have to be FDA certified; however, this takes place following employment.

What is the source of your funding?

Analytical Services is funded 100% from the State's general fund through the Wyoming Department of Agriculture.

Are there other laboratories in Wyoming that can analyze my samples?

Other state, commercial and educational laboratories are listed on the Laboratories in Wyoming tab on this site. If you know of other labs or would like your lab listed, please contact the lab at 307-742-2984.

Can you tell me if my water is safe to drink?

Analytical Services offers several water analysis programs. Based on the chemical and bacteriological analyses we perform, we can make a decision on the water's suitability for human or livestock consumption and lawn and garden or production agriculture irrigation. "Safe" is not a term we use. Safe implies there is nothing in the water which could cause harm and unless every possible contaminant known is determined the claim of "safe" could not be made. Besides the tests identified in these programs, we can run many others if specific problems or conditions exist. Contact the lab if this is the case.

Can you tell me if my forage is safe to feed?

Analytical Services offers several forage analysis programs. One of these is in conjunction with the University of Wyoming's Animal Science Department. A sample of your forage is analyzed for moisture, crude protein and acid detergent fiber. The data along with your production goals are then sent to UW, where a feeding recommendation is made. In another popular program, we analyze grass (oat) hays for potassium nitrate prior to cutting in an effort to reduce this toxic substance, while at the same time trying to minimize the loss of protein. These samples are run as soon as possible and the results are called into the customer. We can make recommendations based on our analyses but we can not guarantee absolute safety.

Back to About Us