Google Apps Sign-On
Weights & Measures Program
The Weights & Measures Program has the responsibility for insuring fairness in all commercial transactions involving weighing and measuring devices. The Department also maintains a Metrology Laboratory which certifies weighing and measuring testing equipment to validate the accuracy of these standards. The lab certification services are available for government, commercial and private entities.
Primary duties include the testing, inspection, and certification of the following:
- Large Capacity, Livestock, Vehicle, Medium and Small Devices
- Coal and hard mineral system scales
- Package Checking
- Price Verification
This program also provides:
- Establishment Licensing
- Metrology Laboratory
- Training and education to the private sector
- Certification and Licensing of Registered Service Technicians (RSTs). RSTs are licensed to repair and place in service scales, meters and gas pumps
- Receive and investigate consumer complaints regarding short measure or short weight
Weights & Measures Associations:
NIST Handbooks: The Wyoming Weights & Measures Law has adopted two key resources in their entirety: Handbook 44 and Handbook 133 (titles below). These publications in hard copy can be ordered directly from the National Conference on Weights & Measures. Online copies are available for the Office of Weights & Measures.
- Handbook 44: "Specifications, Tolerances, and Other Technical Requirements for Weighing & Measuring Devices"
- Handbook 133: "Checking the Net Contents of Packaged Goods"
Handbooks 44 & 133 are an instrumental resource for Registered Service Technicians and the basis for Wyoming's standards during inspection and certification of weighing & measuring devices.